Wednesday, June 26, 2013

My brain is a scary place

I don’t normally remember my dreams. The ones that I do remember are usually pretty nonsensical, so I don’t put any importance in their content. Last night, however, was a dream that I’ll always remember.

The world was grey, monotone. It felt like a filter in a post-apocalyptic movie. Life seemed to move on as it always had, but there was no heart, no soul. Everything was robotic and joyless. I looked into people’s eyes and saw nothing. I was a voyeur, floating through crowds, looking for life and love, but I couldn’t find it. People were slaves to their jobs, the system that only wanted their hands and skills to augment the bourgeois wallet.

The saddest thing was that no one was speaking. I tried to engage with the people, to find out what the hell had happened, but they all seemed incapable or unwilling. I must have had some omniscient powers, because I found out that all artists had somehow been silenced. The ability to create, to speak out was gone. This world was hell, and there was no way to fix it. But, as I learned, there was one rebel. One voice of hope. A man who was not silent, who let his art, his craft defy the oppressors at every turn, a symbol of what it meant to be human, of what it meant to live, to love, to fight. In the monotone Hades, he was a Messiah, a hero, what we needed to retake our humanity.

This man was 2 Chainz.

I didn’t know how he had retained his voice in such oppressive times. He hadn’t faded, instead, he had somehow grown. In the dead quiet of the city streets, without warning, a primal yell would burst from the shadows. It was only his name, It sounded like this, and it was beautiful. He had retained his identity in a system that aimed to eliminate it. In a world where people were unable to pronounce their names, he yelled it through some unknown power, a pariah to the faceless oppressor, but to those suffering, a savior.

I don’t know what this means. Is 2 Chainz the hero I dreamt he was? In a world with NSA, IRS, and every kind of acronym-ridden scandals, with all types of hyperbole and machinations, something so complicated we can’t understand, he has said:

“She has a big booty, so I call her big booty.”

When the day comes that democracy fails, when all hope is lost, I hope that we have a hero, a 2 Chainz. This is what we need, what we want. All I want for my birthday is a hero.   

No comments:

Post a Comment