Monday, June 10, 2013

An Open Letter

As I'm sure many of you are, I've been worried by the recent revelations about what our government is doing. I wrote this letter to my Senator, and I hope that you can use it (or a variation of) to communicate to our government that this is not okay.

As many Americans, I'm disturbed and worried by the recent news of PRISM. While our beliefs on economic issues differ, I've been impressed by your dedication to maintaining the individual rights of Americans and keeping government accountable for its actions. PRISM, in my eyes, is an egregious violation of the rights of Americans and non-Americans who have been victims of this program. In writing this letter, I reviewed the Bill of Rights, which I consider to be the most concise, pure statement of what we are guaranteed as Americans. PRISM stands to tear this document apart. President Obama has said that we must make choices as a society in regard to liberty and safety. To that, I say I choose liberty. Terrorism can be combated without the relinquishment of our natural rights. We refuse to lay our lives bare to a government that refuses to show itself to us. I urge you to make fighting these intrusive policies a priority, and I ask your counsel on what we, the American people, can do to show that we will not submit to such violation of our rights. I may only have one voice, but I can make it heard on the same mediums that the government patrols now, and that is why I want it to remain free.


No comments:

Post a Comment